Just as you get your annual flu shot and physical exam, you should also check your website’s health regularly to prevent issues before they arise.
Review the list below to keep your site healthy and thriving.
1. Software updates and backups. Many WordPress version, theme, and plugin updates include security patches so it’s important to keep these programs that run your site up to date. You should also back up your site each month just in case the unthinkable happens. We provide site maintenance on a monthly basis to ensure the security and stability of our clients’ sites… and peace of mind for site owners!
2. Google Search Console. This tool helps you to understand and improve how Google sees your site. Set up your site for free here to see analytics that will help you monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot your site’s presence in Google search results.
3. SSL. Does your site show the “https” prefix and the little green lock icon in the browser bar next to your URL? These indicators mean your website connection is secure. Websites that don’t have SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) installed are being downgraded and flagged by Google with with an “insecure website'” message. Most hosting companies offer a free version of SSL. Call your hosting company if your site is not encrypted with SSL.
4. Site speed. Check your site’s download speed at pingdom.com. If things are running more slowly than you would like, make sure your images have been compressed to the ideal web resolution and size.
5. Site passwords. Do you know how the login and password for your hosting account and domain registrar? Make sure you can access all of the important accounts connected to your website so you won’t have to scramble if you have any problems in the future. Use a password manager like LastPass to keep your passwords safe and easy to locate. (Note: I receive a small commission from this site for referrals.)
That didn’t hurt too badly, did it? Now your site is ready to enter the new year with a clean bill of health.
Need some help completing your checkup? Contact me to sign up for my monthly website maintenance plan to keep your site secure and SEO-friendly! We can also check the health of your site design and marketing.